When it comes to operating a profitable restaurant, efficiency is key. Margins are thin, competition is fierce, and customer loyalty isn’t guaranteed. Leveraging technology to help improve restaurant efficiency isn’t a new concept. However, the application of Near Field Communication (NFC) technology is.
What is Near Field Communication (NFC) Technology?
Near Field Communication (NFC) technology is a set of communication protocols that enable two electronic devices, one of which is usually a portable device such as a smartphone, to establish communication by bringing them within close proximity (approx 4cm).
In simple terms, NFC technology allows individuals to “tap” their mobile phones on NFC tags, which transmit information to their cellular device, effectively enabling the individual to interact with the world around them.
How can this help increase restaurant efficiency and maximize the bottom line, you ask?
There are many ways NFC technology can be leveraged to reduce restaurant operating costs, increase customer loyalty, and improve restaurant operations; all of which have a positive impact on the bottom line.
Here are three innovative applications of NFC technology that can help improve restaurant efficiency and maximize the bottom line.
1. Interactive Menus and Mobile Ordering
In general, no one enjoys waiting in lines. Lines are bad for both the customer and the restaurant, as a customer waiting in a line is not one who is eating, drinking, and spending money. There are several ways to reduce wait times and in turn, maximize restaurant throughput and improve customer satisfaction.
• Allowing customers to pre-order and arrange for pickup by simply tapping their smartphone on a NFC enabled sales flyer, menu or mail insert to launch a completely automated ordering system.
• Providing customers with an easy, fun, and convenient way to order their meal without having to wait for a server by simply tapping their NFC enabled smartphone on an interactive menu.
If deployed properly, NFC enabled ordering systems encourage customers to add more to their order and help reduce the amount of staff needed, thus increasing efficiency and boosting your bottom line.
2. Loyalty & Rewards Programs
The quicker and more efficient the service, the happier and more satisfied each customer will be. Satisfied diners produce favorable word-of-mouth advertising and positive testimonials, which are extremely important in today’s saturated restaurant industry.
NFC technology paired with user-friendly mobile software can increase customer satisfaction and produce restaurant efficiency in four ways:
1. NFC technology can be utilized in user-friendly mobile software like a mobile loyalty rewards program, where customers are able to redeem earned offers instantly by tapping their smartphone against an menu, poster or piece of promotional material.
2. NFC enabled mobile software can engage customers by creating touch-point materials such as posters, menus or signs that customers can tap to receive fun and shareable social media content.
3. NFC enabled software makes communicating helpful information to your customers simple. By tapping their phone against a menu, sign or poster embedded with a NFC tag, your customers could receive useful information such as ingredient lists, store hours, menu options, wait times and even seating availability.
4. NFC enabled software can also provide useful customer insight to help owners manage their businesses according to long-term habits of their customers. Based on past visits, restaurant operators can track a customer’s previous order, preferential dining times, and average bill total. This insight allows operators to tailor coupons, promotions, and rewards to each individual’s preferences.
3. At-Table Restaurant Feedback Systems
Critiquing service can be awkward for most customers, but it’s an extremely important component in securing brand ambassadors, improving operations, and ensuring long-term viability of your restaurant.
You never want to let a diner leave unhappy, and risk the chance of receiving a negative review online. The key to preventing a negative review is to catch the customer before they leave, and mitigate the problem.
TUKU Inc.’s TableTalkⓇ is an NFC enabled customer feedback platform that allows customers to provide feedback directly to restaurant staff.
Picture this, a frustrated customer has been waiting for their meal for a while, but they are too shy to approach their server and inquire about the status of their order. With the help of TableTalkⓇ, that customer can simply tap their cellphone against a small table display, open a feedback platform, and leave a complaint with the manager. Since the manager will receive this complaint instantaneously, he or she can mitigate potential problems before the customer leaves their establishment, decreasing the chances of receiving a negative review.
Not only is this a more comfortable way to increase customer satisfaction, it’s also much more efficient. The reduction in poor dining experiences paired with immediate operational improvements make TableTalkⓇ an obvious choice for any restaurant owner looking to improve efficiency and maximize their bottom line.
For Best Results, Use Mobile Software that Leverages The Power of NFC Technology. Mobile customer service platforms that utilize NFC technology are dramatically transforming the restaurant industry and customer service efforts by automating time-consuming tasks. This combination of integrated and user-friendly software is especially useful for Ontario restaurant owners dealing with increased operating costs due to the impending minimum wage hike.
In our white paper, Restaurant Technology, Seizing Opportunities After the Minimum Wage Hike, we discuss the impact of increased operating costs. Our detailed case study specifies how mobile technology can help minimize labour costs, while increasing customer satisfaction. We break down the main capabilities of mobile technology, which include loyalty programs, mobile ordering options, quick pay functions and enhanced digital menus, and describe how these functions can be applied to your business model. This whitepaper not only addresses the problem at hand, it provides tangible applications of mobile technology that can be used to help your business cope with the impending wage increase.
If you would like to learn how to harness the power of mobile technology in your restaurant, download our whitepaper, Restaurant Technology, Seizing Opportunities After the Minimum Wage Hike, today!